4 1/2 Week Intensity Summary
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I’m changing jobs next week. While I worked through my notice period, I had an opportunity to get a bit more gym time in and see how much I can lose before the new gig. The wife gets huge thank you for putting up with all this for four weeks just as school started (including never ending laundry as she pointed out several times).
My normal routine aims for M/W/F + one weekend day if at all possible, where I do 45-50 minutes of weights followed by 20-30 minutes of cardio. I initially added T/Thu where I did 60 minutes of pure cardio only. I did that the first week, but the Labor day holiday change in gym hours messed up my lifting schedule during week 2. I actually wound up doing M/W/F cardio and T/Th/Weekend weights+cardio for weeks 2-4 1/2.
Today is the last day I will definitely get in some serious gym time as a few things going on before Monday so I took an unofficial weigh-in:
- Starting weight: 244.1
- Ending weight (unofficial weigh-in): 232.1
Pretty good I think. The highs:
- Lost 12 pounds. Or 2.66 per week.
- Average exercise calories per week
- Normal – 2,270 calories.
- Intensity – 4,332 calories (+90%)
There are some caveats and negatives to mention however:
- It would not surprise me if some of it is temporary water weight that comes back. I did a LOT of sweating. Flood warnings were issued when I headed to the gym.
- I suspect at least some of it was lost upper body muscle. I probably don’t eat enough protein to begin with and by mid-second week all my upper body weights lifted dropped 5-10 pounds and it just got worse by the end of fourth week. Meanwhile the leg weights sky-rocketed. Without enough protein the body redistributed. I doubt its 100% efficient, so I presume some weight loss is muscle.
- Chest Press – Started 225, dropped to 215 then 210 doing 200 by end of 4th week to get full sets in.
- Shoulder Press – Was working up to 125 before, down to 2 sets of 120 and 2 sets of 110 by end of 4th week.
- Back Row – Started 165, dropped to 160 for some sets, I pushed it back up to all at 165, but if I’m honest, I sacrificed form for weight.
- Assisted Chin-Up/Pull-Up – went from 55 lbs assist to 45lbs, but given weight also dropped by nearly same amount, effective weight remained the same. Struggled to do proper 5th in final two sets by 4th week.
- Leg Extension – not sure where it started, but was up to 305lbs by end of 4th week.
- Seated Leg Press – again not sure where it was at start, but cranked up to 360 by end of 4th week.
I should be able to get one more intense session in today, and possibly tomorrow. I hope to just more or less stick to the normal program next week (in my line of work the first few weeks are odd and often a little light since you have little practical contribution to make while coming up to speed and waiting on setups and people for various access rights).
I am also going to see if I can start doing the 100 pushup challenge that some of the other people are doing either next week or the week after. I am thinking of trying the 200 situp challenge at the same time. I’ve been ignoring the core (why bother a solid layer of fat hiding it 😉 ), but I think it’s starting to hold me back now.
Technical Note: Accidentally pressed publish on this half-written last week, if you briefly saw it here or on RSS.